Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Instagram and #hashtags




I have had an Instagram account for a couple of years. I really like Instagram and find it can be very encouraging and a great way to keep connected. However, I have a few “younger” friends that I follow and to be perfectly honest, I am worried. Many of these young ladies are posting pictures that often surprise me. I am not sure if they are really doing what they are posting or if they are just trying to be hip, cool or popular, but as Christians, they should really take this verse to heart…
 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.  ~ Romans 12:2
One of the “fun” things about using Instagram is using #hastags. You see that when you put up a #hashtag you are linking it to other posts that have the same #hashtag. But, ladies you need to be very careful! I often check the #hashtags some of my younger friends post and have often been shocked at what they are linked to. If I see something that concerns me, I will make contact with these young ladies privately and ask them it they were aware of what they were linked to. Many times they are shocked and embarrassed as to what they see when they click on the #hastags!
 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
Use this verse as a guide. Unfortunately, many times I do not see things posted on Instagram accounts that are true, noble, just, pure, lovely (from God’s perspective, not the worlds) of good report, of any virtue, or praiseworthy. These are the things we should be meditating on…and posting on social media! Is what you are posting proclaiming  your faith to the world? Are you using this opportunity to advance the Gospel or are you conforming to the world?
Ladies, please be careful. Don’t get caught up in the trends of the day only to find out you are literally linking yourself to things that are of the world. We are to be different!

 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light ~ 1 Peter 2:9

Shared at:
The Joy in the Journey

No comments: