Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Lessons Learned


2016  is a year I will not soon forget. This year so many lessons were learned. Many were not very pleasant at the time, but through it all I experienced emotional, spiritual and physical growth that I am so very grateful for.

Lesson 1 ~ Good things sometimes come to an end. ~ This year our homeschooling journey came to an end. For the past 20 years that has been the focus of my days. My "new normal" is still a work in progress, but the Lord has graciously given me glimpses of the results of those years. Seeing the fruit of my labor in my children has been very rewarding.

Lesson 2 ~ Sometimes others choose another path.  ~ It is hard to see people you have known for many years choose a different way. It is sad to see that maybe you were not so much alike after all. But, Jesus reminds me that he is the same, yesterday, today and tomorrow. He never changes and neither do his ways.

Lesson 3 ~ Sometimes surgery is the only option. ~ After over 4 years of dealing with gall bladder issues, I ended up in an emergency situation. I had my very sick gallbladder removed in early September and a week later I ended up with a kidney stone. For 45 LONG days my journey with the kidney stone was not only painful, but also humbling. Through this trial, I now have so much more compassion for those afflicted. After being in pain for so long, I now have a better understanding of how people can get addicted to medication.

Lesson 4 ~ Love never fails. ~ My husband and I have been married for 31 years. We have been through many trials and losses during those years, but his care of me during my health crisis demonstrated love in a whole new way. He was my rock and was there with me every step of the way. Words can not express how truly thankful I am.

Lesson 5 ~ God's people are everywhere ~ We have had the amazing privilege to travel to many destinations this year. We were able to meet with other believers who really love the Lord. What a blessing and encouragement to me to be with others who share my faith.

Lesson 6 ~ Life is a journey ~ The older I get the more I understand that I will always be learning and growing. I have no idea what lies ahead for me in the coming year, but I do know that God is faithful.

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. ~ Proverbs 3:5-6

Shared at:  The Joy in the Journey

No comments: