Friday, August 23, 2013

5 Decades

Today I am celebrating a "big" birthday. Five decades of being on this earth.

 I must admit that in the past few months, I have had my moments of "lamenting" about getting older. I remember being in 3rd grade and finding out that my teacher was 28 years old. Boy, I thought she was so old!  (Our perspective can sure change as time passes. When I was 28, 50 seemed old and now that I am 50, 80 seems old!)

My husband has patiently listened to me "whine" about getting older and has tried to reassure me that I am not old and those gray hairs popping out on my head are a badge of honor. (I am really not sure I am ready for such honor!) But the truth is, that some days I just feel old! I don't have as much energy as I once had and my body just doesn't want to do what my mind tells it to do!

So today I decided to give myself a little birthday gift. I decided it was time to stop being depressed about turning 50. In all of my self imposed grief, somehow I forgot that life is a journey. Turning 50 is just another mile post along the way. Along with age also comes wisdom. I need to let God's Word be my compass as I continue on. I need to embrace the next chapter of my life as I continue on this amazing journey he has planned for me. I must look forward to the adventure that lies ahead...

Leviticus 19:32
‘You shall rise before the gray headed and honor the presence of an old man, and fear your God: I am the Lord.

Proverbs 16:31
Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained in a righteous life.

Isaiah 46:3-4
“Listen to Me, O house of Jacob, And all the remnant of the house of Israel, Who have been upheld by Me from birth, Who have been carried from the womb: Even to your old age, I am He, And even to gray hairs I will carry you!  I have made, and I will bear;
Even I will carry, and will deliver you.

Psalms 143:5
“I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands.”

Psalms 71:17-18
“Oh God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works. Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have showed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come.”

Jeremiah 1:5
“Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.”

Psalm 92:12-14
“The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree, He shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon. Those who are planted in the house of the LORD Shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bear fruit in old age;They shall be fresh and flourishing. ”

Proverbs 20:29
“The glory of young men is their strength, gray hair the splendor of the old.”

No comments: