Monday, October 16, 2017

True Beauty




As women, so much of our time can be spent trying to conform to the beauty standards of the culture. We often spends lots of money and time trying to make ourselves live up to unrealistic standards. The truth is, that the culture's standards are constantly changing and if you are caught up in trying to keep up with the latest "trend", you are not seeking true beauty. Now I get that you do not want to look unattractive, old fashion or boring , I was a young girl one upon a time. I grew up in the 70's and 80's. Some of the styles back then would make you laugh now, but at the time, it was what the fashion industry told us was beautiful. God loves beauty. He made a beautiful world! But, our culture's standard of beauty and God's standard often are not the same. We should be seeking to be beautiful in both appearance and attitude.

So how do we seek true beauty? We go to God's unchanging Word.

First of all, lets take a look at clothing. What is it's purpose? Adam and Eve made the first clothes out of fig leaves. Why?

And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons. ~ Genesis 3:7

And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden. And the LORD God called to Adam, and said to him, Where are you? And he said, I heard your voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.And he said, Who told you that you were naked? ~ Genesis 3:8-11

To Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them. ~ Genesis 3:21

  Adam and Eve were trying to cover sin and shame. But the Lord was not pleased with fig leaves that covered their "private parts" and made "coats" of animal skins to cloth their bodies. The Lord wanted their nakedness covered. Sadly today, our culture tells us that immodesty and looking "hot" is beautiful. If you are a believer in Christ your body is not your own, Jesus is Lord over every area of our lives including how you represent him to the world. 
 What we wear and how we look is a picture of what we believe! 
 
How about your attitude?
 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor. ~ James 4:10

 I have known women that dress very appropriate, but are not kind. They can often be self righteous and judgmental. They often point out the flaws in others while holding themselves in high esteem. Some of the most beautiful people I have known have also been the kindest. In fact their kindness overshadows their physical beauty.

Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.
Philippians 2:3-4
The Lord wants us to be humble.
 How we act can also be a picture of what we believe.

Here are a few questions we can ask ourselves...

Am I humble?
Am I promoting myself by the way I look or act?
Am I grieved at the thought of offending the Lord?
Am I grieved at the thought of causing someone to stumble?
Do I want to be the center of attention?
Am I acting arrogant or controlling?
Am I reserved in both dress and behavior?

 Our dress and attitude should be very different than the world's. Living life to God's glory will require some choices that may not be popular or in style, but it will be so worth it!

 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.  ~ Romans 12:2

Shared at : The Joy in the Journey

No comments: