Saturday, September 26, 2015

The Covenant of Marriage

Sunrise at Mount LeConte (1985),
We hiked 5 1/2 miles up to the lodge on our honeymoon...
the beginning of our adventure together!
My family has had the privilege of attending three weddings this month. Each one was a reflection of the bride and groom and their families. At one of the weddings, the pastor challenged us all to remember our own wedding vows. I have thought about this a lot in the past few weeks. Rob and I have been married for 30 years and yet at times it  seems like yesterday we were planning our own wedding.

 On our wedding day we promised...

to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until we are parted by death. This is my solemn vow."

This is serious stuff. To be honest at the tender ages of 21 and 24, I am not sure we understood exactly what was ahead of us. Over the past 30 years, we have experienced pretty much all of those promises. I can not even begin to imagine how we could do this without our faith in God. Marriage is a covenant, something to be taken so seriously.

  And He answered and said to them, "Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning 'made them male and female,'and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'?

So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate." 
Matthew 19:4-6

 Marriage is so much more than just planning an event, it is a lifelong commitment! I am so grateful for my husband and for this journey we have taken together and I look forward to seeing where the Lord leads us in the future.

No comments: