Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

It's blueberry season at our house. So far I have picked 4 gallons off of our bushes. As I dropped the berries in my bucket yesterday I heard "Kerplink, Kerplank, Kerplunk" and just had to smile! I was reminded of Blueberries for Sal, a favorite book of my boys when they were little.

I plan to make blueberry jam as well as freeze some of the berries. But we also like them fresh. We eat them by the handful right off the bush. We put them on granola, make them into desserts and of course, make muffins. Here is the recipe I am making today...


Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour 
1/2 cup rolled oats, plus more for sprinkling
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon  salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup blueberries
Turbinado sugar, optional, for sprinkling

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners.

Combine the flour, oats, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk together the oil, sour cream, brown sugar, lemon zest, vanilla and eggs in another bowl. Fold the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture until just combined, and then fold in the blueberries. (I have found that frozen blueberries work best in muffins.)

Divide evenly among the prepared muffin pan. Sprinkle with oats and turbinado sugar Bake until the muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 24 minutes. Cool in the pan for a few minutes, and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Shared at

No comments: