Thursday, July 12, 2012

Drifting?

I have a family full of sailors. My father, father in law, husband and both of my sons love to sail. It takes a lot of skill to "stay on course". You must constantly watch the water, the wind and look out for hazards as you sail to your destination. You can not let go of the rudder or you may suddenly realize you have "drifted" off course.

I think that the Christian walk can be a lot like sailing. We must be constantly watching  or we can easily get off course. Lately I have been thinking about the distractions that can cause us to "drift." I think a big obstacle can be "entertainment". What kind of books are you reading? What music are you listening to? What DVDs are you watching or allowing your children to watch? I recently read an article by Teri Maxwell that suggested we evaluate everything that we watch, read or listen to by Philippians 4:8

 "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things." Phil 4:8

Wow! I printed out this scripture and attached it to the inside of our TV cabinet door so that every time we watch anything it reminds us to "stay on course". By applying God's word to what we are watching, reading or listening to, it is so much easier to "navigate" the course and finish the race!

 


No comments: